Saturday 22 December 2012

The problem of sulphites

My name is Coops and I am about to start training for a marathon and shortly after a 70.3 triathlon. I've a training plan ready and am all set to go, I like training for events and am pretty excited but there is another factor at play that seems to hold me back: I'm allergic to something called sulphites.  

Sulphites are a preservative, first used by the Roman's, who discovered that adding them to food preserves colour and flavour making it last longer. Naturally this is appealing to producers of food who can use them to increase shelf life, reduce waste and all importantly increase profits. As a result sulphites can now be found in many common foods.

What I am getting at is that it is very difficult to avoid sulphites, particularly when most people have never heard of them and even less know the effect they can have on someone with a sulphite sensitivity.

The idea is that this blog will help me log the troubles I have avoiding sulphites and the resulting symptoms that impact on my ability to train. Then, maybe, eventually, it will help raise a little awareness about what I really think is an unnecessary and dangerous additive that has become all too common in modern food.

No comments:

Post a Comment